Pheasant Recipes Made Tastefully Easy
Whether you’re an experienced gourmet chef or budding foodie, MacFarlane Pheasants offers the following tips and ideas to serve up new culinary inspirations with this moist and delicately flavored specialty.
ESPN’s “Game Gourmet” Chef John Schumacher, a MacFarlane Pheasant fan for more than two decades and savory cook offers following tips:
General Cooking Tips
- Add a new twist to old favorites! Simply take a recipe and use pheasant in place of pork, turkey or chicken. Pheasant’s natural flavor is ready to adapt to favorite recipes and its uses are limitless.
- Pheasants are very low in fat. When roasting pheasant, it’s important to roast at low temperature 250 to 325°F, cover and with moisture.
- When you cook pheasant, cook until the internal temperature is about 160 to 165°F, cover and set aside to allow carry over to finish the process to about 180°F. This makes for a tender and moist pheasant portion.
- Pheasant, like all meats and poultry, should rest after cooking to allow the juices to settle in the meat.
- Use simple marinades or brines prior to cooking will help maintain moisture while adding flavor.
- Compliment pheasant with gourmet sauces like cranberry chutney for savory and sweet taste.
- Serve pheasant with everyday sides, like mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, corn on the cob, wild rice, fruit salad or broccoli with cheese.
- Pheasant can be roasted, sautéed, braised, barbecued and cooked in a crock pot, let creativity be your guide.
Pheasant Breast Cooking Tips
- When grilling or cooking pheasants’ breast meat, sear the ‘open’ side quickly then flip skin side down to finish. This makes the skin crispy and tasty while keeping the moisture in the breast. Grill until the juices rise to the surface and are slightly pink; remove and cover in a warm place for 5 minutes to finish.
- Tender pheasant breast meat strips are perfect to use in making great-tasting entrée salads, grilled appetizer kabobs, and flavorful stir-fry dishes.
- Some of our favorite pheasant breast recipes include:
Make your next meal memorable with MacFarlane Pheasant.
Download a full pheasant cookbook including exclusive tips online at: http://info.pheasant.com/PheasantForDinnerCookbook.html