posted on October 05, 2017 14:08
I experimented with MacFarlane’s ground pheasant this weekend and I couldn’t wait to share the recipe with all the pheasant lovers in North America and beyond! Here’s what you will need to prepare these burgers for four people!
1 pound ground pheasant
1 package of yummy buns of your choice
4 pieces of bacon
1 medium onion
8 saltine crackers
1 fresh tomato
4 nice pieces of lettuce
1-4 cheddar cheese slices
salt and pepper to taste
1. Start out by putting your ground pheasant in a mixing bowl.
2. Put your 4 pieces of bacon in a frying pan and get them hot on both sides-Do not cook them! Remove the bacon from the pan, chop it up into small pieces and throw it in with the ground pheasant.
3. Chop a quarter cup of onion and throw it in with the bacon and ground pheasant.
4. Crumble 8 saltines on top of the bacon, onion, and ground pheasant, lightly salt and pepper, and mix it together like you’re making a meat loaf.
5. Lastly, make four burgers and begin frying the burgers in the same pan you used for the bacon.
Here is the exciting part. Pheasant burgers do not shrink! A quarter pound burger when it begins cooking remains a quarter pound burger once it is done! If you have a lighter appetite you could make 5 or 6 burgers with this mixture.
I browned the burger on both sides and then turned the heat down to low medium so the meat would cook thoroughly. At the very end, two people wanted cheddar cheese melted on their burgers. One of those people was me! When the cheese was melted, we added lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise to the bun before adding our burgers. The combination of flavors was out of this world! We topped off the meal by adding french fries, a small salad, and a beer. It can’t get any better than that!
Be sure to download our cookbook to try more of our tried and true pheasant recipes.