Another great dish to impress your guests with! You put the meal on display and then wow them when you remove the cover with the amazing aromas.
- 1 Large Boneless MacFarlane Pheasant Breasts Split
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice Freshly squeezed and divided
- 1/2 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Unsalted Butter Divided
- 6 Morel Mushrooms Dried and brushed off
- 2 Large Shallots Peeled and chopped
- 2 Large Button Mushrooms Wiped clean, trimmed, and thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp Brandy
- 1/3 Cup Dry White Wine
- 1/3 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 1/2 tsp Chicken Demi-Glace
- 1 Pinch Cayenne Pepper
- Flatten pheasant breasts slightly with a mallet or rolling pin, and then rub with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and season with black pepper.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter over med high heat in 9 in skillet.
- When butter foams, sear the pheasant skin side down for about 5 min per side.
- Remove to plate, cover and keep warm.
- Steep the dried morels in 1/2 cup hot water for about 5 min; drain and strain reserving soaking liquid.
- Discard stems and thinly slice caps.
- Melt the remaining butter in skillet and sauté shallots for about 2 minutes until golden.
- Add morels and button mushrooms, sautéing for 1 minute.
- Remove to a bowl, cover and keep warm.
- Boil the reserved soaking liquid, brandy, and white wine until reduced by about half.
- Then whisk in demi-glace and cream, returning to boil for 1 minute or until sauce is thickened and smooth.
- Place each pheasant breast on warmed plate, skin side up and top with half mushroom mix and then sauce.
- The ideal cover is a glass cover to display and place in front of your guest(s).
- Once seated, lift the cover and fan essence towards them to take in the full impact of the aroma of this wonderful dish.
Originally published with Food; You Elegant Fowl, by Jonathan Reynolds, 1/21/01
MacFarlane Pheasants bring gourmet flavor, convenience and flair to the menu. From appetizers to pheasant entrees, this traditional gourmet ingredient adds natural flavor to make simply sensational salads, appetizers and savory pheasant stir-fry dishes. We offer a wide selection of pheasant recipes for appetizers, soups, salads, and entrees.