A delicious and aromatic way to prepare your MacFarlane Pheasant. There is no doubt that you will enjoy this amazing recipe.
- 1 MacFarlane Pheasant Split into 4 pieces
- 2 oz Pancetta Diced medium
- 1 Bulb Fennel Sliced thin
- 4 oz Mortadella Diced large (available at Whole Foods)
- 8 oz Chicken Stock
- 8 oz Pinot Noir Or other fruity wine
- 8 oz Tomato Puree
- 1 Egg Poached
- 1 Bunch Mustard Greens Stems removed
- 1 Tbsp Distilled Vinegar Per quart of water
- Sea Salt To taste
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper To taste
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat, add pancetta and render until pancetta is crispy.
- Remove pancetta pieces leaving rendered fat in pan.
- Season the pheasant pieces with salt and pepper to taste, brown on each side in the Dutch oven until skin is crispy, approximately 4-5 minutes per side, remove from pan and set aside.
- Add fennel and sauté until lightly caramelized.
- Add the mortadella, chicken stock, Pinot Noir, and tomato puree and return the pheasant pieces and pancetta to pot.
- Bring to a light boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and allow to cook for 20-25 minutes or until pheasant is cooked through and tender.
- While the pheasant is cooking, prepare a small pot with water adding a tablespoon of distilled vinegar per quart of water.
- Bring the water to barely a simmer, add egg and poach until cooked to a soft stage, reserve cooked egg.
- Add the mustard greens to the Dutch oven with the pheasant.
- Replace the cover and cook an additional 10 minutes or until greens are tender.
- To plate, split the greens between four bowls, surround with mortadella and fennel pieces pouring broth into the bowls.
- Top the greens with the pheasant pieces and top the pheasant with the poached egg and garnish with fennel fronds.
MacFarlane Pheasants bring gourmet flavor, convenience and flair to the menu. From appetizers to pheasant entrees, this traditional gourmet ingredient adds natural flavor to make simply sensational salads, appetizers and savory pheasant stir-fry dishes. We offer a wide selection of pheasant recipes for appetizers, soups, salads, and entrees.