- 3 roma tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 shallots, peeled, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups fresh morel mushrooms, cleaned, chopped
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cups half & half
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 1/4 cup gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh herbs, rosemary, chives, parsley, thyme
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper, 1/4 teaspoon each
- 6 MacFarlane cooked pheasant breast halves
- 1 teaspoon each butter and olive oil
- 18 stalks fresh asparagus, washed, trimmed
- 1 cup fresh baby lettuce blend, washed, patted dry
- 1/2 teaspoon white truffle oil, optional
Roasted Tomato Coulis
In a small baking dish add tomatoes cut side up, shallots and garlic. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, add wine. Roast uncovered at 250 degrees F for 3 hours. Remove tomato skins. In a blender, add tomato mixture, lend until smooth. Season to taste with salt & pepper. Keep warm until needed.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add oil, heat. Add mushrooms, sauté for 5-7 minutes or until softened and cooked through. Add broth and half and half bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, slowly whisk in corn meal. Cook for 20-30 minutes stirring constantly until thick and cooked through. Fold in gorgonzola cheese. Spread mixture evenly into a foil lined pan. Cover and refrigerate until firm (2-3 hours). Cut into serving size rounds or squares. Refrigerate until needed.
In a large re-sealable bag add fresh herbs, olive oil, salt and pepper, mix together. Remove pheasant from package, add pheasant to fresh herb mixture, toss. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or overnight.
To prepare per order
In a small non-stick pan over medium heat, add 1 teaspoon unsalted butter, and 1 teaspoon olive oil, blend together. Add polenta, sauté. for 5-7 minutes per side or until golden brown. Meanwhile, remove pheasant from herbs. Grill for 3-5 minutes on each side or until heated through. In a small saucepan, add asparagus. Sauté. or steam asparagus until crisp tender. Season with salt & pepper.
Place polenta near center of plate. Lay the asparagus over polenta. Place pheasant slightly over polenta and asparagus. Place lettuce to the side of pheasant, drizzle with white truffle oil or favorite dressing. Spoon tomato coulis to the side of pheasant, spread around pheasant with the back of a spoon. Serve immediately.
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours
By Chef Jim Rude, P. Dickey’s , Janesville, WI