- 2 ounces olive oil
- 3 pounds MacFarlane pheasant boneless thigh meat
- 10 ounce Dry Sack Sherry
- 5 cups pheasant stock
- 3 Thyme sprigs
- 1 teaspoon Juniper Berries
- 1 Bay leaf
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 ounces extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces diced rutabaga, blanched
- 8 ounces diced celeriac, blanched
- 8 ounces diced butternut squash, blanched
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sage, chopped
Season pheasant thighs with salt & pepper on both sides. Preheat sauté. pan over medium high heat and add the olive oil. Lightly render and brown the skin on the thigh meat; remove from the
pan and reserve.
Deglaze the pan with Dry Sack and reduce by half; add the pheasant stock, Thyme, Juniper Berries and bay leaf and bring to a simmer.
Place the thighs, skin side up in a roasting pan and add the hot stock. Make sure there is adequate stock to completely cover the thighs.
Cover with foil, place in a 275 degrees F oven and cook until fork tender (about 2.5 hrs). Strain stock & lightly thicken sauce consistency with roux or cornstarch.
Sauté. root veggies in extra virgin olive oil until lightly caramelized and hot throughout. Add herbs and season to taste or eye appeal – Garnish with mini potato chips and chopped smoked almonds.
Recipe compliments of:
Ken Arnone CMC, WACS Global Master Chef www.ka-cmc.com